Re: UTF-8 support in GTK+ 1.3.5

Raymond Wan <rwan cs mu oz au> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> 	Does anyone know if GTK+ 1.3.5 completely support UTF-8?
>
> 	I'm asking because I tried this snippet of code and it works, but
> if you remove the "//" comments (and comment out the corresponding lines
> after), it doesn't appear.  Is it something I've done wrong either in the
> code or my installation of 1.3.5...  I'm not getting any runtime errors,
> too (so it must be a valid UTF character).

The set of characters that GTK+ can display completely depends on
the fonts.

If the current font doesn't include a character for
DOWNWARDS ARROW CORNER LEFTWARDS (U+21b5), then nothing
will display.

(The X backend tries to use the "unknown" character from the
glyph, but that may well be empty. The Xft backend does better
and draws a box with the code number in it.)

Your program works with me, since the clearlyu font that
is included in the default pango "Sans" alias includes this
character.