Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:28:45 IDT
From: dov imagic weizmann ac il
To: ivrix-discuss ivrix org il
Subject: Improved pango engine modules/hebrew/hebrew-x.c

I just sent the following email to gtk-i18n, and as I am sure
that it is of interest to this group as well, I'm sending a copy
here.

--
I have finally got around to having a look at the Pango Hebrew
renderer and I have entered various heuristics that makes the

I am including both a patch for modules/hebrew/hebrew-x.c as
well as a screenshot showing the first two verses of the Bible,
rendered with the Microsoft Tahoma font.

As regards to font I had to do the following in order to use it:

* The program ttmkfdir does not create any "iso10646-1" entries.
  Thus I had to manually enter the fonts.dir directory that
  holds the M$ truetype fonts and enter lines like the following:

   tahoma.ttf -microsoft-Tahoma-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1

And as always when I finally get around to understanding how to do
something within Gtk/Gnome etc, (which takes me some time) I stand in
awe and admiration for the great structure and design created by
Owen Taylor. :-)

Regards,
Dov

PNG image