Re: internationalised terminal for gnome

Kaixo!

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 03:26:30PM +1030, Not Zed wrote:

> > >is it following the proposed UTF8 cut and paste proposal discussed
> > >in XFree86 list ?
>
> No idea.  It worked with xterm when i tried it last.

I don't remember the exact details now, but it is using a new
text type UTF8_STRING, the proposal was done, IIRC,
by Juliusz Chroboczek

> > >multi-width is (with the width of chars (being 0, 1 or 2) get trough
> > >the appropriate function of the libc).
>
> Width of 0?

Yes. a lot of chars (in unicode encoding but also in other encodings)
are supposed to display on top (or bottom, or middle) of the previous
char. That is, the display engine must keep the cursor in the
same column, the width of those char is 0, that is, the column advance
in an xterm is of 0 columns.

> > >Maybe some ideas can be taken from "yudit" (http://www.yudit.org/);
> > >I'm able with it to display correctly a text using a mix of chars
> > >that none of my fonts provide; that is yudit uses various fonts
> > >to cover the output.
>
> gtk+ 2 has pango which performs this (and more), although I have not
> looked at it.

But is gnome-terminal (zvt) using it ?
Maybe for the current version of gnome-terminal it may be (or not,
in which case disregard it) a quick and useful hack to implement
some sort of multifont use.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga