Re: internationalised terminal for gnome

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Suresh Chandrasekharan wrote:

> What it doesn't do:
>  - bi-width fonts for better CJK rendering.  This is probably not
> particularly hard to add with a routine to determine which characters to
> display 2x width.  (what i mean is using 2x width characters for asian
> characters, and 1x for other characters).

When I added such a feature to xterm, it was more than a little effort,
and only recently have all the bugs got shaken out. But this is probably
largely due to xterm.

xterm in XF86 4.0.2 now also does combining character support, and an
alpha version does chars > U+10000, bidi, arabic shaping, Xim, and proper
support for things like EUC-JP/EUC-KR/Big5/ISO-8859-6/8, and so forth. I'd
aim for that sort of level of support in zvt.

--
Robert Brady
robert suse co uk