Re: Thai/Devanagari in GNOME Terminal

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Chookij Vanatham wrote:

> Since I'm native Thai person, I can share some information about how
> Thai script works in Terminal emulator.

Have you tried the Thai support in xterm? As far as I know it's
acceptable, but we'd like more feedback...

> In term of, bidrectional script like arabic/hebrew, I think we should
> check how their bahaviors would be first. May be someone from native
> language can give us more info like I did for Thai.

Again, this is apparantley working fine in xterm without recourse to
pango. (At least our native Persian speaker is happy, barring a few minor
bugs)

> Like Robert says, it's not necesary to be highly complex, and,
> at least, I will be able to use "vi" or other tty-based applications
> running well with Thai/Arabic/Devanagari... in gnome-terminal.

It might be interesting to try to adopt the shaping code, but the only
thing in modules/ that xterm doesn't already support is Devanagari.

But on the other hand, if you want to try this for yourself, no-one is
stopping you. :)

--
I speak for myself, not my employer