Re: Clustering Rule in Devanagari Pango Engine

Hi,

]
] If you look at the patch that Havoc posted recently, you'll see that
] the current plan is to separate the concept of clusters for movement
] from the concept of cursor positions:
]
] Cursor positions are determined by the is_cursor_position flag
] in PangoLogAttr.
]
] Clusters affect display only and are there to organize the mapping
] between displays and glyphs. The only affect of clustering on the
] display of cursors is that if you have multiple cursor positions
] within a single cluster, they are done by linearly interpolating
] within the bounds of the cluster. The clustering information is
] stored in the PangoGlyphString.
]
] I think this separation simplifies things a lot - it means that
] we can do things like make a 'fi' ligature a cluster and still
] have a cursor position in the middle of it.

I'll check this out.
I think this is the good idea not to tie cursor position to the
cluster. Just my opinion, some appls might need to put the cursor
over the character. Their cursor might not be like I-Beam which seems
to be needed to be put in between characters. The cursor type like
black box in xterm/gnome-terminal would make more sense to put in
on the character, not in between. If so, then, cursor position should
not always be tied to cluster. Actually, I'm wondering if there is
the overwrite mode in gtktext which requires the cursor over the
character, not in between.

Chookij V.

]
]
] Regards,
]                                         Owen
]
] gtk-i18n-list mailing list
] gtk-i18n-list gnome org
] http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-i18n-list