Re: Clustering Rule in Devanagari Pango Engine

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Chookij Vanatham wrote:

> We need to check it by moving the I-BEAM and see how it moves as the cluster.

Indeed.

> I'm going to make some change and test it with Solaris hindi font and will
> update more detail.
>
> One thing I like to hear your opinion is that, Solaris hindi font is TrueType,
> not bdf. So, I will not be able to use the ligature-hack properties from the
> fonts. I guess that I would need to add some code in the engine for this
> ligature-hack. I'm going to check this out. Just in case, let me know if
> any other better ideas to do this.

This is something that needs discussion. In an ideal world we'd just
use OpenType's Indic support. Short of that we could

  * add support for arbritrary X properties to TTFs, make the X TTF
    backend understand this.

  * recognise the font automatically (based on encoding?) and then pass a
    hardcoded PANGO_LIGATURE_HACK in...

--
Robert Brady
robert suse co uk