Re: Editing and formatting characters

-> >     [RLE] HEBREW TEXT [HYPHEN] [PDF] 1234
-> >                               ^     ^
-> >                               A     B
[Re: Putting the cursor at 'A':]
-> Symmetry says that you don't remove any fundemental problems by
-> switching the cursor from A to B, you just switch them from the end of
-> the embedding group to the beginning of the embedding group.  That is,
-> if we put the cursor at A, then hitting forward-delete before the
-> [RLE] has to delete the H and leave the [RLE] untouched.

	Just to clarify: with paired sets, I propose the cursor position
be associated with the *inside* character.  In your example, that would
have been at the 'A' position.  At the beginning of the example text, it
would be:

     FOO [RLE] HEBREW TEXT [HYPHEN] [PDF] 1234
              ^

	Of course, now if you hit (backward-)delete you'd need to delete
the O (of FOO) while leaving the [RLE] untouched.

-> So, I do like the idea that insertions happen before the
-> paired-formatting character.

	(Before on the closing char, but after on the open-formatting
char).

--Derek S.
  dereks realloc net