Re: Industry Thai Cell-Clustering Rules

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Chookij Vanatham wrote:

> ] Can't those be detected somehow ? (it would be interesting to have the
> ] list of combinations and the codepoints assigned to the precombined glyphs)
>
> Not quite sure about the question, give me more detail.

Pango shapers can "probe" fonts to see if they have certain glyphs.

They can also do y adjustments on glyphs.  It would be quite easy I guess
to make a Thai renderer that could do nicely positioned vowels without
needed extra glyphs for vowel-at-different-heights.

> Now, if users want to have Thai displayed as Wtt2.0 Cell-clustering,
> what will you do ?

We have

  if (user_asked_for_wtt2_on_all_thai_fonts())
    {
       use_wtt2();
    }
  else
    {
       dont_use_wtt2();
    }

> That's why, we put Cell-clustering to XLFD name, so that, the engine
> can determine which cell-clustering rule should be used. Then, users
> would be able to choose what they want.

To put it bluntly, that is mad.

The correct way to have a user-configuration option is to have a
user-configuration option, not to kludge it by abusing the XLFD.

--
Robert Brady
robert suse co uk