Re: Unicode & C++

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Nathan Myers wrote:

: Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org> wrote:
: > Nathan Myers wrote various stuff, then got to the interesting bit:
: >
: > > > The C standard makes no guarantees about any of these, and
: > > > my copy of GCC (CVS snapshot from a few weeks ago, I think)
: > > > certainly doesn't do what I would consider the right thing.
: > > >
: > > >  L"utf8-text"
: > > >
: > > > Gives you a string where each 4-byte wide character contains
: > > > one byte of the UTF-8 string.
: > >
: > > This is exactly what a reasonable person expects.  If the characters
: > > are ASCII, that's also what UCS32 specifies, and exactly what you want.
: > >
: > > Non-ASCII string literals are almost always a mistake; they belong in
: > > a gettext archive.
: >
: > A reasonable mono-lingual English reader may expect this.
:
: I suspect you have entirely missed the point.
:

No, You missed the point. I'm czech and if I want to make a czech-only
application I don't want to use that gettext beast just to be able to use
there my accents!

--
Petr Tomasek, http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek/