Re: Unicode and C++

"Shiv Shankar Ramakrishnan" <Shiv@pspl.co.in> writes:

> | - The encoding of wchar_t
>
> Isn't that implicitly supposed to mean Unicode? I for one do not know of
> any system where it means anything other than Unicode. All the other
> wide character stuff are known as MBCS and are encoded in char*'s and
> not wchar_t*'s. And in case it is forgotten let me point out that
> wchar_t in C and C++ are *different*. In C its a standard typedef where-
> as in C++ its proper type (and keyword) and hence can be used to
> overload etc and appears as wchar_t in error messages and all.

To my understanding, GNU libc is rather unique in always interpreting
wchar_t to mean Unicode. Generally, on traditional unix systems,
if the locale is, for instance, ja_JP.EUC, then wchar_t will
be a corresponding wide character set, such as jisx0208.
(This difference means that Xlib's handling of wide locales on
linux has been rather rather broken for a long time, since it
expects the traditional behavior.)