Missing labels with national chars in some widgets

Hello!

I've noticed following problem with all gtk apps:

Labels containing any national character are not displayed
by some widgets (eg there are missing entries in menu
and in checkboxes) while some other widgets display national
strings properly (e.g label created by 'gtk_frame_new("label")',
month names and weekday names in calendar widget - these are OK)

Some people I know reported this problem too, some
others have not encountered this.

I tested gtkrc settings a bit: I put different sizes of fonts
to check which font is used. I've found that always the first (latin1)
one is used (nevertheless all chars are displayed properly in widgets I
mentioned):

style  "gtk-default-iso-8859-2" {
       fontset = "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--18-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1,\
                  -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-2"
}
class "GtkWidget" style "gtk-default-iso-8859-2"

Do you have any suggestions what could cause the problem or how to track
it down?

Thanks
Rafal

#stuff