Re: [Render] OpenType support in Pango

> Sender: owner-render XFree86 Org
> From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>

> Neither is all that important an optimization - the wire encoding of
> text for drawing is not an important efficiency bottleneck in
> most cases, but they wouldn't hurt.

Depends...  If you have a hardware accelerated implementation, then
the encoding will matter, as the request overhead then becomes significant.
On local machines, with current software implementations, the wire encoding will
not likely be significant.  This may be most cases today, but we hope it
isn't most cases in the years to come...

So that isn't the only point of render: we want things to again work well
over networks, where modern X toolkits and applications have been having trouble.

The cogent argument about the encoding overhead is for when you
are using things over bandwidth deprived situations: here, the request
overhead will make a major difference in rendering performance.

Shall we say that we want things to work well all the time, not just
some of the time :-).
                         - Jim