Re: A bug report: Pango cannnot handle some CJK character sets

Hi Mark,

I have to express my opinion that the issue that I brough up is not on
whether we shouldn't do any negative thing on promoting Unicode but, rather,
on whether we want to utilize all existing fonts to represent as many Unicode
characters through Pango as possible.

To do so, it is quite necessary that we should have some additional entries at
the tables at the tables-big.i file and provide additional conv_xxx() at
the basic.c with the current implementation.

By the way, the current conv_xxx() at Pango calls g_iconv_open() that
actually calls iconv_open(). So, unless you are proposing additional
feature/spec change at the iconv(), the Pango is already doing the necessary
UTF-8 to "font charset and encoding" code conversions by using iconv().
If this isn't what did you mean by your iconv argument/suggestion, please
let me know.

With regards,

Ienup