Re: Want to help, but don't know how

Den lør, 18 sep 1999 skrev Daniel Serodio:
> I'd really like to help with the Gnome translations, but I have no clue about
> where to begin, where to get some docs or anything. Can someone please give me
> some pointers to docs and stuff? Thanx!

I can't tell from your email adress or headers what language you'd want
to translate, but if it's spanish, chances are an older translation
already exists, but it might need updating. I recommend using emacs
po-mode for editing po-files.

Check if you have a po-module installed with: 'locate po-mode', it's
probably: '/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/po-mode.el'. Read the install
instructions in the beginning of the file. ( -> Put:
(autoload 'po-mode "po-mode")
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.po[tx]?\\'\\|\\.po\\." . po-mode)
                             auto-mode-alist))

(autoload 'po-find-file-coding-system "po-mode")
(modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.po[tx]?\\'\\|\\.po\\."
                            'po-find-file-coding-system)

in your ~/.emacs file)

Like many unix-programs it takes a bit of getting used to, but it's
very powerfull once you get the hang of it, for example 'V' will
automatically insert the right date at the top, check for errors and
save. Place cursor over a message and press Return to go into
edit-mode. Like vi you can't just point and click and start typing in
po-mode, there's an editing mode and a mode that responds to keyboard
shortcuts. For instance pressing 'k' removes your current translation.
To exit edit-mode, press Ctrl-c Ctrl-c to update your changes, or
Ctrl-c Ctrl-k to throw them away. I recommend playing around with a
testfile first.

If this aint enough for ya', try these urls:

http://www.kde.org/i18n.html
http:/ballueder.home.dhs.org/translators.html
http://members.xoom.com/langkjer/translat.html
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/translators.html