A new font layer ??

Now I'm very tired of contacting authors, who wrote GTK+ programs
which use just gdk_font_load() and/or GtkFontSelection dialog.  Such
programs simply can't display CJK or iso-8859-N (n > 1) encoded text.
They can be easily fixed, but it is just a pain to insert Cyrillic,
Chinese, Korean, Japanese, ... font mappings into every applications's
C codes.

How could we reduce the amount of this localization work?

Don't we need a new font API, which is quite different with X's one?
(IMHO, X's font/fontset API is too compatible with the ancient X.)

I hope remembering "Times" be sufficient to load appropriate font or
fontset, according to each locales.

--
Changwoo Ryu