Re: some questions about gtk-doc

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 23:47 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> c) I have a hard time hacking on gtk-doc because I tend to have to copy
> the tools from /usr to my local dir, tweak my build setup, and remove a
> bunch of commented prints to see what's going on.  Would it make sense
> to do this more nicely by checking an env var and outputting this debug
> info if the env var is set ?

The trouble with this is that you only typically want a few of the
debugging messages at any one time. If the uncomment all of them you may
get lost in too much output.

But I'd be OK with basic output about which symbol is being worked on.

> d) It'd be nice if there were ways to hook into various parts of the
> gtk-doc tools at certain steps.  For example, for doing the scan step I
> really only needed to override the way types were scanned for; instead
> of doing a .types file with all _get_type methods, I had to examine
> GStreamer's registry and instantiate element factories that have the
> GTypes.  So I had to change maybe 50 lines in gtkdoc-scangobj, which
> would've been nice to put in through a hook instead of copying and
> changing locally.  Has anyone ever thought of making these
> customizations more easy ?

There is a --type-init-func option that you could use to initialize all
the types in GStreamer.

Alternatively we could allow the .types file to contain a chunk of
initialization code. That would be fairly easy to do. i.e. anything
after <!--INITIALIZATION--> is copied directly to the C output.

> P.S.: anyone ever considered redoing gtk-doc in, say, python ?

That's a step backwards, isn't it ;)

Damon