Re: lynx bug

Damon Chaplin wrote:

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 15:59, James Henstridge wrote:

I just read the Jade man page, and it documents a second SGML output format -- sgml-raw. According the man page, it says that sgml-raw does not add the new lines inside elements. I have committed this change which should solve the problem:

2003-01-18  James Henstridge  <james daa com au>

   * gtkdoc-mkhtml.in (declaration): switch the output type from
   "sgml" to "sgml-raw" when using Jade to process docs.  This gets
   rid of the line breaks inside the tags, which were confusing Lynx.

If it causes a problem, it should be pretty easy to revert.

Thanks for that.

I have openjade, which supports that option. Does jade support it as
well? I can't see the option on http://www.jclark.com/jade/

Is it OK to depend on openjade now? If not, we need to check which one
we're using and use sgml or sgml-raw mode accordingly.
Just checked one of the old RH6.2 boxes here that has jade-1.2.1 (which also seems to be the latest version available from jclark.com), and it only claims to support fot, rtf, tex, sgml and xml output formats, so that version doesn't support it. Doing a google search for "jade sgml-raw" matches a 1999 mailing list post with a jade patch to add sgml-raw mode, so that gives some idea of the age of the feature.

If we want to support jade-1.2.1, we could probably detect whether OpenJade is being used with a command like this:
 jade -v -f foo </dev/null 2>&1 >/dev/null | grep OpenJade

The verbose flag causes Jade to print its package name/version number, which we can grep pretty easily.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au   http://linux.conf.au/
WWW: http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ | Jan 22-25 Perth, Western Australia.