Re: UTF-8 output

James Henstridge <james daa com au> writes:

> jrb pointed this issue out on IRC.  If you look at the documentation at:
>     http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/index.html
>
> You will notice that it doesn't display the "Next >>>" link correctly
> (there is a little bit of garbage between "Next" and ">>>").
>
> I investigated this problem, and it is because mozilla is interpreting
> the web page as being Latin1, while it is actually UTF-8 encoded (the
> garbage is the UTF-8 representation of a non-breaking space).  This
> seems to be due to a conflict between the headers sent by the web
> server, and the <meta> tag in the page itself:

> The http headers take precedence, and disables the browser's encoding
> detection routines.  This could be a a fairly common problem for
> gtk-doc generated content, as many web servers send an encoding with
> all pages these days due to some security bugs, and will cause
> problems for any characters in the document outside of the 7-bit ASCII
> range.

I've fixed the problem now on developer.gnome.org by turning off
AddDefaultCharset for doc/API/.

An alternate thing I could have done is for doc/API/2.0/, done:

 AddCharset UTF-8 .html

Encoding everything outside of ASCII is probably OK, since I
doubt any sites are going to default to a non-ASCII-compatible
encoding, and since there isn't going to be a lot of non-ASCII
text in gtk-doc API docs in general.

But it bothers me a bit...

Regards,
                                        Owen