Re: UTF-8 output

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 23:55, James Henstridge wrote:
> jrb pointed this issue out on IRC.  If you look at the documentation at:
>     http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/index.html
>
> You will notice that it doesn't display the "Next >>>" link correctly
> (there is a little bit of garbage between "Next" and ">>>").
>
> I investigated this problem, and it is because mozilla is interpreting
> the web page as being Latin1, while it is actually UTF-8 encoded (the
> garbage is the UTF-8 representation of a non-breaking space).  This
> seems to be due to a conflict between the headers sent by the web
> server, and the <meta> tag in the page itself:

> The http headers take precedence, and disables the browser's encoding
> detection routines.

So am I understanding correctly here - the web server is ignoring the
actual encoding of the document (UTF-8 in this case) and automatically
informing the browser it's "charset=ISO-8859-1" no matter what it is?

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead