Re: XML DocBook patch

John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net> writes:

> I'm also speaking without seeing the patch here, so I may be totally
> missing some important point, but IIRC David Mason had to do some
> special DSSL magic when we wanted to simply close all the tags when we
> were using docbook sgml for the GNOME user docs.

The only problems you can run into for a file that is written
correctly (i.e., you did not leave tags open by accident) will be self
identifying empty tags. At one point I changed the Docbook DTD
declaration file to allow these in SGML but now that XML is around it
would be better to not change the declarations. XML can have them,
SGML can not.

I guess this is what you were talking about John, I don't remember any
other magic we had for closing tags. One nice tool to keep around is
Tidy though. It will clean up xml, sgml, and html including closing
tags that should be.

Cheers,

Dave

--