Re: Style questions for RDP

Dave Mason wrote:

> I agree we shouldn't stop using tables that are already used and I am not
> against them all together, I'm just wary of using them for exactly the reasons
> you stated.
>
> I was thinking about using groff the other day ... maybe I'll give it
> a test run if I get some time. I'll let everyone know how it looks.

What were you using to try to create the postscript output?

I just tried:

jade -t tex -V tex-backend -d /usr/local/src/docbook/print/docbook.dsl
     glib-docs.sgml
jadetex glib-docs.tex
dvips -o glib-docs.ps glib-docs.dvi

It worked better than the last time I tried it. The spacing within tables
is still a bit screwed up. But I've got a fairly old version of jadetex
(May '98), so I'll try again when I get a newer one.

We can produce different DocBook output for printing if necessary
(or customize the print stylesheet). All the current tables are
auto-generated so we could actually get rid of them, though I can't think
of a good way of laying out parameters without them.

Another problem may be the size. The GLib reference I just generated is
180 pages. If the spacing in the tables and elsewhere was better that would
cut it down by ~30 pages.
I'm not sure the 'Synopsis' sections are as useful in a book. Getting
rid of them would also cut the size down by ~30 pages.

Damon