Re: Concerns about print preview implementation

On Thu, May 18, 2006 2:08 pm, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> I'm already writing an inline API for anyone who cares to implement a
> preview widget.

Perfect. If the API supports it, we could transparently switch apps
between external/internal viewer anytime since it becomes an implementation
detail in GTK+. I hope, right? :)

>>        * smaller latency, more interactive
>
> Nothing says an external viewer is less interactive.

Of course it is -- if you have a 150-page document (rather common in a
business environment I might add, like a Requirements or Design document
in a bank) there's _got_ to be a bug somewhere if you don't get the
incremental preview faster.

The external preview has to render the full 150 pages (which are likely
large full of silly diagrams), save them to disk, spawn evince, it has
to read the stupid thing, and render it. All that, versus rendering _only_
the first page. There's _got_ to be a big difference in latency here.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi lattica com>
Lattica, Inc.