Re: [patch] Print Preview

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 21:07 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Here is my patch for print preview.  I haven't created the signal yet
> but that should be a trivial change.  Right now we just work as if the
> user hit print.  The dialog is dismissed and evince (or whatever is
> configured as the gtk-print-preview-command settings property) is
> launched.  We default to "evince %f".  The dialog dismissal works like
> MacOSX works.  I'm not sure if we want to keep the print dialog around
> anymore.

I'm don't like that pressing preview button kills the print dialog. I
normally would expect that you can generate the preview, tweak some
settings, regenerate, verify and then print. Its also a problem with the
settings at preview time, do you forget them or save such non-finalized
settings?

The way this integrates with the print loop (if we don't dismiss the
dialog on preview) is affected by the async work we've been talking
about (driving the print loop via idles). Also, it would mean that apps
have to handle several runs of the mainloop in one single
print-operation.

Do you really have to use the pdf print backend to do the generation.
Can't you use something more like what
gtk_print_operation_set_pdf_target does? It seems a bit hackish to
create a full backend like that.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an immortal small-town househusband possessed of the uncanny powers of an
insect. She's a hard-bitten nymphomaniac politician with her own daytime radio
talk show. They fight crime!