Re: Solaris fopen issue

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 18:37 +0400, Kirill Kirichenko wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I have run into problems of GTK using fopen on Solaris.
> The Solaris implementation has a problem with any fopen() which opens
> a file above the 256 file descriptor.
>
> How can I get around the problem ?
> I use gtk 2.4.9 on Solaris 5.10. I created a program that emulates my
> situation. It's a simple "Hello World" GTK application that opens 300
> file descriptors with open(2) before gtk_init called.
> It crashes with mesages below:
> The Solaris implementation has a problem with any fopen() which
>    opens a file above the 256 file descriptor.

I'm slightly speechless here, though I'm sure there are valid historical
compatibility reasons for why Sun can't fix that problem.

I'd suggest, if you really need that many file descriptors *open*, maybe
just start your GUI earlier ... the use of stdio in pango and fontconfig
is limited to reading configuration files.

It *would* of course, be possible to rewrite Pango to not use stdio,
and use, say, GIOChannel instead. Feel free to file a bug report in
Bugzilla to that effect, but don't expect it to get high prioritization,
unless Sun has a patch sitting around....