Re: [RFC] Simple file monitoring API for GLib
- From: "Matthias Clasen" <matthias clasen gmail com>
- To: "Federico Mena Quintero" <federico ximian com>
- Cc: GTK Devel List <gtk-devel-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Simple file monitoring API for GLib
- Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 10:48:30 -0400
On 5/9/06, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> wrote:
That's the thing - people will see that gnome-vfs has a file monitoring
API, and that Glib has one as well, and they'll think "the Glib one is
at a lower level, so it must be BETTER!". And they'll start abusing it,
they'll see that it doesn't scale, and blame us.
That is a valid concern.
The *real* problem is that we haven't decided to bite the bullet and
either completely remove gnome-vfs, or to put it below the GUI part of
the GNOME stack. GtkFileSystem is already a mess because we have to
maintain two pretty complex implementations: the Unix backend, and the
gnome-vfs one. A file monitor in Glib will create exactly the same
While the root cause is the same, I don't think the situations are really
comparable. If you look at Emmanuele's code, it does little more than
wrap a GSource around the gnome-vfs file monitor api.
] [Thread Prev