HOW TO USE A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH

anuj pachauri writes:
 > I have a software(Baraha Direct) which maps the character on the
 > keyboard to the Hindi Character and writes it. By simply switching on
 > the sofware i am able to write in Hindi on WordPad, Microsoft Word,
 > web pages etc.;.

 > When i tried the same thing on my gtk+ GUI it doesnt type a single
 > character the cursor doesnt even move from its place.

Use the official Microsoft Hindi keyboard layout instead of 3rd-party
software. It works fine for me (on XP) as far as I can see in GTK+
applications (and WordPad, Microsoft Word, etc).

Make sure that you have a font that covers Devanagari in your
pango.aliases. The pango.aliases in the Pango 1.12.1 distribution for
Windows in included below. "Mangal" is the font it uses for
Devanagari, feel free to substitute some other appropriate font if you
want.

==cut here==
courier = "courier new"

tahoma = "tahoma,browallia new,mingliu,simhei,gulimche,ms gothic,kartika,latha,mangal"
sans = "arial,browallia new,mingliu,simhei,gulimche,ms gothic,kartika,latha,mangal"
serif = "times new roman,angsana new,mingliu,simsun,gulimche,ms gothic,kartika,latha,mangal"
monospace = "courier new,courier monothai,mingliu,simsun,gulimche,ms gothic,kartika,latha,mangal"
==cut here==

--tml