Bug compiling gtk+ 2.8.15?

Hi everybody,
I was trying to compile gtk+ 2.8.15 according to the instructions at http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html. It worked up to a certain point in the compilation of gtk, but it complained about a missing file in /opt/lib/pango. I had done all of the configures for glib, pango, and atk as --prefix=/opt/gtk, so I don't know why it was looking in /opt. I added a symbolic link from /opt/lib to /opt/gtk/lib and it worked a little further... am I doing something wrong? Anyways, after adding the link, it goes even further but complains about 'undefined reference to `g_object_compat_control''. Any ideas? Thanks for any help :-).

Yoshi Cormier