GtkTextBuffer crash

On Feb 28 I posted a message about GtkTextBuffer crashing from too much data.
This was wrong. The crash comes from unusual text that was being inserted
into the buffer.

In particular, the following text, if used in gtk_text_buffer_insert_text(),
will cause a crash: "file:%2F%2F%2Fhome.xml". This is the name of a file
found in /home/userxxx/.nautilus/metafiles (my app was listing a bunch of
file names in a text window).

Can anyone explain why this text crashes the function, and what I should do
to avoid this?

Sent from the Gtk+ - Dev - General forum at Nabble.com.