Re: changing --enable-gc-friendly=yes semantics

Tim Janik said:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>>> what for? i can't see any need for that. especially since valgrind
>>> correctly hooks the systems malloc/free calls anyway.
>>
>> Right, but glib doesn't do malloc/free on every
>> g_slice_new/g_slice_free, unless G_SLICE=always-malloc.
>
> yes, that's still not a reason for --with-valgrind, at least i don't see it ;)

I have seen the timing changes and other subtle differences that result from
using system malloc instead of a given alternative allocator change program
behavior and hide bugs.  Adding the valgrind hooks would make it possible to
run the programs normal execution path but still catch bad memory block usage.

/me waves hands vaguely

I don't see these hooks as a critical requirement, but it would be nice if
they were already there, done right, instead of me having to add them ineptly
every six months when i have the need.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>