Re: Gtk+ printing dialog highlevel thoughts

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 10:56 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > I think relying on CUPS might be good enough. Opinions on this? Does
> > > e.g. solaris ship CUPS?
> >
> > Solaris ships PAPI.  Doesn't ship CUPS.
>
> Hmm, yet another library. Easily mistaken with PAPI the "Performance
> Application Programming Interface" library too.

I'm not an expert on PAPI but I can find you one if needed.

Here's more info on PAPI:
http://www.openprinting.org/moin.cgi/OpenPrinting/PAPI
Note that libgnomeprint currently has a papi module (written by
Ximian and Sun).

> So, exactly what does PAPI give us? Is it good enough to allow us to
> write the gtk+ print dialog with it? Does it e.g. expose PPD file info
> like custom UI for printer features?

See the API spec linked from the above page:
http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/openprinting/PAPI-specification.pdf

Laca