Re: g_object_ref_sink and GUnowned

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 17:08 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Not commenting on the absolute necessity of changing the hierarchy,
> but do you think it will be possible to do a release of the perl bindings
> that works with both the old and the new hierarchy ? I'm asking because
> I want to do a stable gtk release soon, and I don't want it to break the
> perl bindings without at least a fix release in sight...

The latest release of the Gtk2 Perl module (1.113, part of Gtk2-Perl
2.13.4) should work with both hierarchies.  It manually makes sure
Gtk2::Object inherits from Glib::Object.  It's just a temporary
solution, but it works.

One note, though: 1.113 is an unstable release and while we generally
invite people to test unstable releases, we don't recommend installing
them in production environments.  We don't put them on CPAN.  Packagers
don't put them in stable branches of their distribution.  All this means
that the vast majority will still have 1.10x (the current stable
series), and updating gtk+ to 2.8.10 and glib to 2.9.2 will break them.
This last bit is not all that likely, but I thought I'd mention it
anyway.

--
Bye,
-Torsten