Re: Deprecations

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, David Hampton wrote:

> Here's my problem.  GnuCash currently compiles cleanly using gcc-4.1 and
> -Werror on both i386 and amd64 systems, so Ross's issue of aliasing
> warnings has already been handled.  If you add the G_GNUC_DEPRECATED tag
> to these functions as proposed, gnucash will stop compiling with 338 or
> so error messages.  No one is going to complain to you when this
> happens, but they are going turn to me and the other GnuCash developers.
> I know there are users compiling GnuCash on RedHat Rawhide, so the lead
> time between this proposed change being implemented and the first
> complaint will be pretty short.

Then may I ask why are forcing -Werror on the face of those poor
innocent users?

These are the flags I use when compiling any program, without
testing I'm sure there are quite a bunch of warnings these reveal
in GnuCash:

-O3 -Wall -Wextra -Wfloat-equal -Wredundant-decls
-Wmissing-noreturn -Wno-shadow -Wendif-labels -Wlarger-than-65500
-Wpointer-arith -Wno-cast-qual -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings
-Winline -Wformat=2 -Winit-self -Wno-switch-default
-Wno-switch-enum -Wno-unused-parameter -Wundef -Wno-error
-Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wold-style-definition -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-Wbad-function-cast

(and yes, packages like GnuCash has forced me to add that
-Wno-error there, cause when I'm compiling something, especially
one that I don't have commit access/permission to, I really want
to compile it, not be interrupted and forced to fix the
warnings.)

> I can't imagine GnuCash the only application in this position.

No, there are a few others too.

> David
>
> P.S. Please don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that this is a bad idea,
> only that its unconditional application is a bad idea.  If it was a
> conditional flag that could be enabled or disabled I would welcome it.

I'm sure this list has had enough discussion on -Werror before.
No need to continue it here.  If you are interested, I'm going to
continue my rants on my blog tonight (http://mces.blogspot.com/)

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"