Re: Callback based tooltips (Re: New tooltips API, continued)
- From: Soeren Sandmann <sandmann daimi au dk>
- To: "Matthias Clasen" <matthias clasen gmail com>
- Cc: Gtk+ Developers <gtk-devel-list gnome org>, Tim Janik <timj imendio com>, Kristian Rietveld <kris imendio com>
- Subject: Re: Callback based tooltips (Re: New tooltips API, continued)
- Date: 25 Apr 2006 15:08:12 +0200
"Matthias Clasen" <matthias clasen gmail com> writes:
> On 4/25/06, Tim Janik <timj imendio com> wrote:
> > i don't think there's a point in implementing grouping unless the above
> > question has been answered, i.e. we've gotten a resonable usage scenario.
> > so until that happens, it's probably best to leave groups out of the API spec.
> Well, one reason would be that it is in our current tooltip support, and we
> don't just remove features for no reason...
> The reason for its existance is that it is annoying to have to wait for every
> other tooltip again when you are moving the mouse over the toolbar to see
> them all. And of course, putting all tooltips in one group makes the behaviour
> of tooltips equally annoying, since you then have to hunt for a
> tooltip-less area
> to get out of fast-tooltip mode again...
That's because that feature simply doesn't work. Moving the mouse to a
tooltip-less area does not turn off fast mode as it should, regardless
I once wrote down how tooltips should behave:
- Tooltips are too intrusive. The text should be smaller, and
they should to the right of the cursor, and a little below
the cursor's center.
| | tooltip |
not centered below the cursor.
- In "normal" mode, tooltips should appear after ~1.5 s.
- When in "browse" mmode (tooltips appear immediately),
tooltips should not actually appear immediately, but rather
after ~75-100 ms of the mouse cursor not moving, so that you
can move over a set of objects without getting a ton of
- After a period of around 500ms without any tooltip being
displayed, "browse" mode should be turned of. (That way you
can get rid of tooltips by shaking the mouse a bit).
- Browse mode should be turned off when you leave the area of
the tooltip group.
- They should not appear before we have seen at least one
motion event on the widget (ie. stuff that pops up under the
mouse should not get a tooltip). (Or possibly an 'enter'
that doesn't come from popping up if such a thing can be
] [Thread Prev