Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 10:19 +0200, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
[snip]
> On the UI side, we should have a GtkRecentChooserDialog and a
> GtkRecentChooserWidget, for which I have prepared a mockup at the GUADEC
> Hackfest; you might see it here:
>
> http://www.emmanuelebassi.net/images/shots/recent-items-viewer.png

Who is going to use these? Isn't everyone just going to use the menu? Is
this equivalent to anything that exists in applications today?

If this is intended to be used in some system-wide utility then maybe
the code should be moved out of GTK+.

> (It's also a semi-working Perl program, which uses the current
> recent-files implementation and its Perl bindings).
>
> We could provide more than the filter based on the timestamp, as we do
> for the GtkFileChooser widgets.
>
> I've considered the option of making a menu, but I decided that we
> should avoid it for latency reasons; applications might just have a
> "Open recently used..." item which launches the dialog (many
> applications already use a submenu, there's no difference for the user's
> point of view), or we could add the ability to show recently used
> resources into the GtkFileChooser, near where we put the bookmarks.

Aah, have you changed your mind about this? I haven't seen much
discussion of this change of a de-facto UI convention. Not that I
personally know what's better.

[snip]

--
Murray Cumming