Re: Callback based tooltips (Re: New tooltips API, continued)

On 4/11/06, Kristian Rietveld <kris imendio com> wrote:

> You sure did :).  As I said earlier, I pretty much prefer your simpler
> proposal once we find solutions for the keyboard handling (which will
> probably automatically give us API for ondemand tooltips?), dynamically
> changing tooltip texts and agree on how to handle custom tooltip
> windows.  I hope we can agree on these issues soon, so I can come up
> with a patch before the middle of next week.

I have to agree with Owen's earlier comments on the callback-based approach
here.

   I'm not really enthused about a callback-based approach here. It
   seems simple at first glance, but I think it would get pretty complex
  for the case where tooltip texts or tooltip areas change dynamically.
  (For tooltip areas, think scrolling in a GtkTreeView.)

Unless we can find a way to handle
  - Ctrl-F1 keyboard mode
  - programmatically triggered tooltips
  - grouping (as for e.g. the toolbar example)
  - dynamic tooltips
Kris proposal (based on Owens ideas) seems more complete.

Matthias