Re: selected text is PRIMARY?

On Ter, 2006-04-11 at 16:25 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:11:28 +0200
> > From: Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr>
>
> > On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 22:48, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
> > > I actually doubt that if you have two selections
> > with same colors
> > > and everything, then it will cause troubles. Yes,
> > you are not able
> > > to tell which one will get pasted. But how often
> > does it happen,
> > > that you select some text, have a cup of coffee,
> > then come back and
> > > press middle mouse button? I guess less often than
> > you would be
> > > annoyed by rainbow on your screen :)
> >
> > Your suggestion is akin to removing the visual
> > feedback on widgets.
> > After all, when you click on a button you are in
> > front of the screen and
> > you know where you clicked, why bother with a visual
> > feedback ?
> >
> > The 'selected in PRIMAY' has been deeply entrenched
> > in the X11 culture
> > for years.
>
> You're making a very good case for REMOVING it with
> that point.
> "X11 culture" is a tiny minority of hardcore users.
> If GNOME wants to reach regular users, the people who
> don't know what X11 is and don't care, then something
> has to be done about the problems PRIMARY causes.

  Maybe users don't know what X11 is, but maybe they know what the
middle button usually does in text widgets; it's very easy to discover
this even by accident, and it's a very useful feature once discovered.
And GNOME itself has behaved like this _forever_.  We shouldn't break
(i.e. change) user interfaces like this without a very compelling
reason.  And no, "mozilla does differently", or "win32 does differently"
is _not_ a compelling reason.  Past versions of GNOME itself should have
more weight than win32 or mozilla.

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic