Scrolling in GtkTreeView: very slow

Hello, my name is Samuel, from Sao Paulo, Brazil (my English is very bad!).
My doubt is:
Why scrolling in GtkTreeView is so slow???
My machine is a Via C3 800 MHz, with 256 MB of memory. My system is Debian
Unstable, running IceWm.
I load 3,000 lines in a GtkListStore and show them in a GtkTreeView. I set
the "fixed-height-mode" property of the GtkTreeView to TRUE, and the list is
showed fast.
But, the problem is when I scroll the GtkTreeView.
With mouse or keyboard, the scrolling is VERY slow, and eats a lot of
processor!
Is there any solution for this problem?

Thanks,

Samuel