Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

* Banginwar, Rajesh <rajesh banginwar intel com> schrieb:
> I am really glad to see the intention of keeping the ABI same even with
> 3.0 release.

I'm not.

Binary compatibiliy prevents us from changes in the library structures,
ie. which widgets belong into which lib.

Normally a new major release introduces many heavy changes - that's
why its called 'major'. No one every reall expects binary compatibility,
or even full source compatibilty on new major releases. They're in
fact different packages with different interfaces, just doing quite
the same.

If you wanna have binary compatibility, just stay in the 2.x line.
Or with other words: if a new release is binary compatible with 2.x,
it should also be called an 2.x.

> As we are going to include GTK 2.4 or 2.6 (based on distro feedback;
> e.g. Redhat ships with 2.4) in the first release of desktop module of
> LSB, having ABI compatibility even after platform consolidation is a
> welcome decision.

You probably don't want this with an 3.0 seriously. Major releases
are normally *large* changes and it will take time that applications
become ported to the new interface. See gtk-1.x vs. gtk-2.x
There are still a lot of gtk-1.x applications out there.
gtk1 vs. gtk2 are completely different packages.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact metux de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481