Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 07:53 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > But being as part of the official library pack makes them be official,
> > and avoid people using different solutions for the same problem.
>
> That's the idea of being in the GNOME Development Platform. I don't see
> how putting the whole platform in one tarball makes it much more official.
>
> That's just an invitation to JDKesque quality problems due to lack of
> modularity - meaning:
> - you have to wait to release a bugfix because of a bug in another part of
> the library that surfaced in the meantime, and
> - you force people to suffer bugs in another part of the library when
> releasing a bugfix for one part of the library.

Its a fine line, but I can't see how network connections don't fit in as
an acceptable low level operation when we have the following in glib:

1) lexical scanner
2) xml subset parser
3) IO Channels

Even if not in glib we should be creating an official solution that
hooks nicely in to the mainloop rather than neon/curl/soup.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr novell com>
Novell, Inc.