Re: Gnumeric on Scientific Linux

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:49:51 -0400
Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 10:37:12PM -0400, weintrau nucmar physics fsu edu wrote:
> > trying to install gnumeric on a scientific linux 4.1 version.
> > <snip>
> > configure: error: Package requirements (
> >         gtk+-2.0                >= 2.6.0
> >         libglade-2.0            >= 2.3.6
> >         libgnomeprint-2.2       >= 2.8.2
> >         libgnomeprintui-2.2     >= 2.8.2
> >         libart-2.0              >= 2.3.11
> > ) were not met.
>
> Looks like it's called gtk2

I recently had occasion to build gnumeric  (1.4.3) on a Solaris 7 box used as a spectrometer controller.  The dependency tree is a bit daunting, but possible.  Details available (I took careful notes) - mailto:Norm Reitzel utsa edu

For me, the most difficult piece to resolve was a very old (ancient) X running on solaris, and the requirement for XFt and XRender.  The newest versions of render support even old versions of X by drawing characters - which is pretty, but very slow, the point being that I'd gladly accept a little less "look good" for being able to bypass the advanced rendering and anti-alias, that requires me to build a font server and an entire set of fonts, and the entire tree to support such.

I believe this is a GTK2 "feature" (which explains the cross post)(apologies) but I can't be the only person who has this particular difficulty with paleohardware.  If my very expensive instrumentation would run on a more modern package, I'd dump it and it's associated problems in a nanosecond.

-- Norm Reitzel (UTSA, Instrument Coordinator)