Re: Color schemes for GTK+

Hi Mattias.

Color schemes proposal is very interesting, but I have a few probably
related questions:

1.

As I've understood, the goal of this proposal is to implement color capplet
in Control Center to let user manually select color scheme for desktop.

In general I think it's questionable. We don't let user change some
simple settings and force him to use gconf-editor while we are going to
let him change color scheme. It's really hard to select color scheme
that nicely fits with desktop. User should take into account the
following things: number of color applications, icons, background and
different gtk widgets. Isn't it better to provide default gnome theme
with several predefined color schemes. I can't imagine the user that can
accomplish this task. But this question is rather question to usability
list.

It's not clear for me, how then UI for capplet will be build. Are you
going to retrieve list of named colors from style and expose them? Then
you will need at least some support of i18n for every named color and
readable comment for it. If this list will be specific for every engine,
why do we need to expose it in rc file? is someone going to edit things
like 0.75 in light_background = shade (@background, 0.75)?

Isn't it better to place this things into engine directly.

2.

If there will be a fixed set of named colors, what is that list and why
do we also need to allow users edit this fixed list. And where is
support for color applications? How is it related to stock colors
proposal? Btw, it has a patch also, but no response was recieved.

3.

I think that gtk_shade_color and gtk_mix_colors are useful for theme
engines and applications, why not expose them in API in gdkcolor.h? For
example, they are copy-pasted in clearlooks engine and used in several
places of gtk.