Re: GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)

> If you look at www.gtk.org/plan/2.8, you'll see that our schedule calls
> for a 2.7.0 release with all major 2.8 features in by June 1, so we are
> a bit behind the schedule already. Looking at the features listed on
> that page
>
> - Cairo support: is in CVS, and seems to work reasonably well. The main
>   question mark here is if we are confident that the Cairo api as of
>   0.5.0 is stable enough for our purposes. Ideally, we'd have an
>   officially api-stable Cairo release. I guess Owen can comment on
>   this when he is back.
>
> - GObject introspection: The current prototype in the
>   gobject-instrospection module in cvs is not ready for inclusion yet.
>   I feel that we would do better to not rush this in 2.8 at this point.
>
> - iconview and menu system enhancements: in CVS
>
> - gail integration: not in CVS, there is a patch, but no activity
>
> - libglade integration: not in CVS, there is a patch, but I think
>   some details still need discussion/work.
>

> My feeling is that we should probably drop gobject introspection, gail
> and libglade integration from the 2.8 feature list at this point, and
> aim for a feature-complete 2.7.0 release sometime next week.

	That sounds all very reasonable and realistic ... most people's
concerns seemed to be about the risk of the schedule slipping, but that
doesn't seem to be such a worry if you're talking about aggressively
dropping planned features in order to meet the schedule ...

Cheers,
Mark.