Re: Exciting GNOME?

Dnia 14-02-2005, pon o godzinie 13:03 -0500, Havoc Pennington napisał:
> > Incidentally metacity is due for a bump in the theme version to add new
> > and exciting capabilities built on Cairo and Gtk 2.8 after the branch.
> > Talented and visionary eye-candy folks are being solicited.  Maybe
> > metacity needs plugable metacity theme engines.
>
> No engines if we can possibly avoid it. Causes a lot of problems. I'd
> rather have JavaScript if it comes to that.

Anything besides obvious "it needs to be distributed separately" thing?
Does the fact that engines are compiled binaries ever cause compat
problems?

On a related note, there was one (vague, but nevertheless very
desirable) point on GTK+ 2.8 TODO list: "now we have cairo and all the
goodness, make theme engine that would be far more flexible and allow us
to specify declaratively what's currently being done via engines, fix
all the currect shortcomings of theming and then get rid of all other
engines". Is that still on radar, or got slipped into some unspecified
future?

Cheers,
Maciej

--