Re: Future of Canvas on GTK+ (and probably GNOME)

Jody Goldberg wrote:
On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 03:21:49PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 19:12 +0100, Jost Boekemeier wrote:

Since cairo can now be used by gtk apps, writing a gtk
canvas shouldn't be difficult.  However, it would be
good if someone could post the issues that the current
gnome canvas has.  What should be in the gtk canvas,
what not?

An important question is what a canvas widget is for. In the GNOME 1.x
days, GnomeCanvas was used to implement a lot of custom widgets.
However, in GNOME 2.x that is very uncommon; because of accessibility
concerns and because GTK+ itself provides anti-flicker capabilities.

So it would be interesting to map where the canvas is still used. I'd
assume gnome-games and nautilus for example.

I agree with your notion of gtk1-canvas == custom widget.
In gtk it seems most useful in the context of documents with
embedded objects.
    - dia
    - gnumeric's drawing objects

      - DiaCanvas2

DiaCanvas is used for drawing diagram like things. It's main reason for using GnomeCanvas is the event-propagation. No gnome canvas shape widgets are used.

Regards,

Arjan

Basicly a place where container based layout is inconvenient.