Re: Future of GtkTooltips

Owen Taylor schrieb:
Have you read the thread from:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2004-October/msg00099.html

? I'm not sure we came up with a decent design there, but there
are several concrete proposals.

To answer the question to be posted in advance: ;-)

No I did not invest any time into that topic besides studying the
current design and thinking about improvements (which I mostly posted to
the list). Of course I'm still interested in a solution (even if I did
not design/code it myself ;-) )

Back to my current remote_cvs<->monotone sync project
   Christof

PS: To summarize from memory: My idea was to design it hierarchically:
Once you are about to display a tooltip traverse the widget tree (at
given mouse position) and display the bottommost tooltip available.
(E.g. a container is asked for a tooltip at position x,y: ask the child
at that position for a tooltip (recursively via a callback (so that each
widget has a chance of returning a different tooltip based on relative
mouse position)), if nothing comes back use the containers tooltip).

IIRC groups (design proposed by Owen) mostly serve to display a tooltip
upon different "related" widgets (e.g. adiacent buttons in a toolbar)
without delay.