Future of Canvas on GTK+ (and probably GNOME)

Hi all,

I was thinking develop a program using canvas, but some facts come in my
mind:

1) I've read in live.gnome.org[0] libgnomecanvas is deprecated;

2) Cairo now is a dependency of GTK+ (HEAD).

I've seen here about several problems around libgnomecanvas, and you
suggests to people use others alternatives, like FooCanvas (which is
inside Gnumeric). But FooCanvas has IMHO, some problems, like the
license (it's GPL and not LGPL as GTK+) and there isn't an anti-aliased
support.

So, I'm bit confuse: should I develop my own (LGPL) canvas library? Use
DiaCanvas[1] instead of it? Or wait for a new canvas library (possibly
basead on Cairo)? What's the future of canvas in GTK+ and GNOME?

Regards,

Fabr�o

[0] http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero
[1] http://diacanvas.sourceforge.net/