Proposition for platform maximum filename/pathname length symbols

Hi all,

I would like to make a suggestion for a small but useful addition GLib, which I think is a glaring omission and which I have found myself needing for a current development project.

I propose that the following symbols be defined and available to programs compiled against GLib:

G_MAX_PATH_LENGTH

G_MAX_FILENAME_LENGTH

The purpose of these should be self-explanatory; G_MAX_PATH_LENGTH would be defined as the maximum length in bytes a pathname can be (e.g. PATH_MAX under Linux and MAX_PATH under Windoze). G_MAX_FILENAME_LENGTH would be the maximum length of a single filename (if different).

Has anyone else been frustrated by the absence of such symbols or have I missed something?

Regards,

Chris