Re: gtk+2.8.x and cairo

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 10:06 -0500, Kurt Miller wrote:

> I understand that ancient hardware will not be supported forever. In my
> particular case I'm seeing the problem on a < 1 year old PowerBook G4
> which is currenly stuck at Depth 8.

Oh come on, that's just not plausible. It's no easier to drive a
graphics card in Depth 8 than in better modes; harder usually.
You just need to do the research to fix your configuration.

(Or, though I hate to say this, use OS X... GTK+ works there under X,
and there's even a native port in CVS.)

> > That being said, it really shouldn't segfault; but it's not something
> > within what the scope of the Cairo developers test on or can support
> > themselves.
>
> I've updated the bug report with instructions on how to reproduce on any
> platform / driver combination. It should be easy for anyone to
> reproduce now.

You are assuming we have any interest in reconfiguring our graphics
into something that doesn't meet minimal standards for 5 years ago,
not to mention today.

> > If you catch up with Keith Packard on #cairo, I think he
> > had some ideas about how PseudoColor could be supported in cairo
> > without causing excessive complexity to leak into the normal code.
> >
> > If the issue is 8/24 hardware defaulting to 8bpp, then it might make
> > sense to have some environment variable or XSetting to make the GTK+
> > default visual the GdkRGB visual rather than the system visual.
>
> It seems the best possible solution at this time is for gtk+2 to detect
> when PseudoColor is the default and switch to TrueColor as Mark
> Kettenis suggested. Perhaps you could comment on the feasablity of that
> solution?

As I said 8bpp TrueColor is not a reasonable graphics configuration.
And I certainly don't believe that if your graphics setup is that
crippled, you'll be able to support multiple visuals at once. (High
end graphics systems from 15 years ago could do multiple 8bp visuals
on different windows...)