Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?

ANDREW PAPROCKI, BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEXIN wrote:

What I want the container code to do is assert if an object is not floating, and
ref_sink internally. So the user's code will look like:

object = fancy_not_gtk_object_new();
fancy_container_add(container, object);
Exactly! Code of *your* users will look like that. What about me?
See, the problem is not the floating reference concept. We know that
it works nicely for widgets. The problem is that GObject exists, and it
works as it works. Changing it in such a way is not an enhancement,
it's real big change which requires more effort from me when I am trying
to write code without leaks (not like your users), and which adds more
inconsistency in GTK (see my note about TreeView and TreeModel).

Yevgen